Shillong, Aug 1: Over 3,000 people in the state have benefitted from the Megha Health Insurance Scheme (MHIS) phase-III within a span of one month of its rolling out while claims of more than Rs 1 crore have been made in this regard, a government official said.
Informing this at an enrollment drive conducted at Pynthorumkhrah on Tuesday, MHIS chief executive officer (CEO) Himalaya M Shangpliang said that a total of 3,522 people have benefitted from the scheme so far.
Over 2.52 lakh households in the state were enrolled under the scheme while the target is to enroll 8.86 lakh households.
“The enrollment for MHIS will continue till September this year,” Shangpliang said.
Admitting that there were complaints of people misusing MHIS cards last year, he said, the department has emphasized on the need for people to take back their smart card after enrollment.
He also urged the people not to leave it to the wisdom of MLAs and Rangbah Shnongs (headmen) to hand over the card to them.
Addressing on the occasion, former health minister and Pynthorumkhrah MLA, A.L. Hek said that the state government had spent around Rs 52 crore during the second phase of MHIS, which ended last year.
Hek asked the people to produce smart card before the MHIS counter as and when they are admitted in hospitals empanelled with the government, while clarifying that the MHIS facility would be available only for people admitted in hospital for treatment.
The cover under the phase III of MHIS has been increased from Rs 2 lakh to Rs 2.8 lakh and the MHIS Scheme this year also has an additional senior citizen cover of Rs 30,000.
Earlier, the Meghalaya government had signed an MoU with New India Assurance Company.